Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars

So when I heard about these protein bars, I was kind of skeptical. After reading the list of ingredients I didn't think that their was any way that these could taste good. Like for real. I was even hesitant to make them. But since I made a commitment to stick to this program and it was one of the few things on the list that was sweet (and I LOVE SWEETS), I bit the bullet and decided to go for it.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised! As someone who will easily spit out food if it tastes gross to me, I was really happy about how these turned out. I ended up using Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (since that's what I have for my protein shakes) and I used Apple/Pear/Banana and Apple/Blueberry baby food (that was the first time I was ever in that aisle!). As for the Oat Flour, I googled it (since I couldn't find it in my local Kroger) and I simply put a cup of Old Fashioned Oatmeal in the food processor. So easy...and free!

While these protein bars resemble brownies, they do not taste like them. However, they do taste good! The taste is like a semi-sweet chocolate and they have the texture of a cake-like/spongy brownie, minus all the sugar! I had one while I was around some friends and they thought I was being greedy keeping the "brownie" to myself.

I would definitely make these again!




Chocolate Protein Bars

Calories: 96
Fat: 1.4 grams
Carbs: 12 grams
Protein: 10 grams

Ingredients:
1 cup Oat Flour (I put a cup of Oatmeal in the food processor and pulsed until fine)
4 Egg Whites
2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (I used Nature's Best Isopure Dutch Chocolate Whey Protein Powder)
½ cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
8oz Berry flavored Baby Food
3 tbsp Baking Cocoa
4oz Water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients (oat flower, vanilla whey protein, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa)
together in a large bowl.
3. Mix wet ingredients (egg whites, Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal, Berry flavored Baby
Food,Water) together in a medium sized bowl.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
5. Spray cooking dish with a non stick butter spray and add batter to dish.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes in oven.

Makes 16 squares, serving size=2 bars.

Original Recipe: Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!