PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

I was trying to figure out if I want to even talk about this on the blog, but I figure that it's part of my journey and if it helps just one person with their journey, then that'll be a great thing.

I went to my new OBGYN back in April for my annual women's exam. You know the one. With paper gowns and stirrups. Fun times. My mom had suggested that I ask the doctor about PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome - maybe I had it? I had some of the symptoms - acne (I thought acne went away by the time you're in your late 20's), trouble losing weight (I mean, who doesn't have that problem, right?), excess facial hair (I had to admit to this, but it's downright awful), thinning scalp hair (my hair used to be fairly thick), irregular periods, and infertility.

Since up until recently, we didn't have to worry about infertility since we weren't talking about having kids yet. But now, now that we really are talking about starting a family, this has become an issue.

I also have to say that I haven't been formally diagnosed. That would involve an ultrasound to check for cysts. It's sounds awesome and wonderful, right? Not really. Unfortunately, it's not a condition that has a cure. Thankfully, it's a condition that can be managed and the symptoms lessened, mainly through diet and exercise. Most notably for the diet - reduction in carbs!

It stinks that I love carbs so much.

But if carbs are what are standing in between us having a baby, then I will gladly give up that extra sugar.

Part of my plan, come January is to start up eating Paleo style again, at least at a 80/20 ratio. I know that the hard core Paleo/Primal gurus will say that it is a lifestyle, but if I'm being totally honest with myself, I know that I'll be able to do much better if I give myself the 80/20 ratio.

I'm slowly learning to eat more vegetables (I wish I loved them) and I'm excited about being able to eat plenty of protein (I love meat!) I have to admit that I will miss my carbs, between cakes and candy and bread, the idea of saying goodbye sucks. But it'll be worth it.

I'm going to follow an eating plan that is somewhere between a Paleo and 4 Hour Body diet, giving myself that one day a week to go nuts on the all the bad stuff. I hear from friends who have done it say that after a few weeks, you don't even miss or crave the bad stuff anymore.

Anybody else out there managing PCOS? I would love to hear your advice!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!