Our New RE // Cycle Day 37

Last week we had our appointment with a new reproductive endocrinologist.

It was a great experience! I'm so happy that we have found her and feel so reassured after meeting with her. Like a mentioned in my previous post, it was important to me to find a female reproductive endocrinologist. It's not that I don't trust men, it's just that I don't think male doctors who work in the lady part department will ever FULLY grasp what it's like. Sure they can try to empathize and if their wife has ever gone through infertility they can kind of get it....but it's just not quite the same as a female doctor who has had experience with infertility herself.

The experience was excellent from the get-go. I called the make the appointment and the receptionist was super friendly and got me set up in a jiffy. The day before my appointment someone called to confirm and had a bright and cheerful voice on the phone. (I point this out because the medical assistant at my OBGYN's office has the worst phone voice ever...as if it's torture for her to be talking on the phone - she sounds so bored and annoyed.)

That, in and of itself, made me calmer and look forward to the appointment.

My husband came to the appointment with me and though he technically was not required to be there, I was really happy to have him by my side. After the usual wait in a doctor's office and filling out some additional paperwork, I had my vitals taken, and we were led into the doctor's office.

Her office was bright, with comfy chairs and colorful pillows - definitely a woman's office! Dr. T came in and greeted us with a smile on her face. (I point out these details because they make a difference - to me at least!) She took time to take our history and ask relevant questions. I could tell that she was really listening and trying to get a good understanding of our current situation. It felt nice to talk to someone who was really listening and interested. We talked about my PCOS, when I was diagnosed, what I've done to manage it, and she even gave me some more understanding about what was going on.

My husband had just had an SA the week before this RE appointment. Unfortunately, we had not yet received the results...which you know can make anyone nervous. We didn't receive the results until the end of the week and spoiler alert - he's normal!

After taking our histories, the doctor took us in for an ultrasound to check things out. It was the first time that I had a doctor (and not an ultrasound tech) do the vaginal ultrasound. She pointed out everything as she was going and it was the first time that anything had ever been really pointed out to me. Good news, she counted follicles (so it seems like eggs are not currently an issue) and it looked like one of them was nice and big for ovulation. She ordered a blood test to check to see if I had ovulated as well.

Overall, I was just thrilled with how the appointment went. She was very friendly and warm - something that I feel is hard to come by with doctors. When it comes to something like this, infertility, I need someone who is going to be empathetic and sensitive to the experience. I wouldn't do well with someone who was all "JUST THE FACTS". I know some people prefer that, but not me. I like the warm fuzzies. It helps so much with the trust factor.

It was such a contrast from my experience last year. I also had a year of infertility experience and further understanding, but also the doctor herself was a dream in comparison. And let's just say that I had heard no reassuring comments about last year's doctor through the grapevine.

So the plan is to wait until my next cycle, do one more medicated cycle but with Femara, and see what happens before exploring IUI's etc. The doctor says we're "boring" (in a good way) and that because of the PCOS we may just need a little extra nudge in the direction of getting knocked up.

And now we wait.

Oh waiting. It's not for the faint of heart or the patient. Ha.

Well, I got the lab results from my blood test to check for ovulation and I measured at 16. The nurse said that they like anything above an 11 to indicate ovulation, so I hope this is good sign. The great thing is that even if this cycle doesn't result in pregnancy, I feel 110% confident in my new doctor to help us.

Here we are...cycle day 37.

I have to wait until at least CD 42 or 45 before testing...I know I could test...but I'm so pragmatic I don't want to waste them! Haha.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!