Empire made me cry

I am not the type of person to cry easily when it comes to TV or movies. I can probably list on one hand the number of times that a TV show or movie made me cry. Does this make me heartless? No, I don't think so. My triggers for tears come in other formats.

My hubby and I watch Empire, however since we typically volunteer at church on Wednesday nights, we catch up on episodes on the weekend thanks to Hulu. If you watch Empire and are not caught up, I won't spoil it for you, and if you saw the mid-season finale, then you know what happened.

Anyway, there's a song that Jamal and Hakeem write for their brother Dre, called "Good People". And oh my gosh...like I said, I don't cry easily, but this song, listening to the words made me tear up. Okay, I'll have to spoil just a small detail, but you would have guessed it anyway. Dre and Rhonda lose their baby after Rhonda's accident (where she was pushed down a flight of stairs).

While the song isn't exclusively about miscarriage, it is about loss, and I think this song will resonate with so many people who have gone through loss. For me, I really listened to all of the words in the song and just kept thinking to myself, "Yes. Yes. Yes" to the way I feel and felt about our own miscarriage. 

You question yourself, you question God, you question what you did wrong for this to happen. It's likely we'll never know. In fact, 1 in 4 pregnancies end in loss, it's just that most of the time, the loss happens before the pregnancy is confirmed. It appears as a period. I think that's why the stat is so high, but it doesn't seem like it in real life. 

Next week is National Infertility Awareness month and the theme this year is #StartAsking. I think that infertility is one of those subjects that feels taboo, or society has made taboo, and in effect, there are SO MANY couples going through infertility and yet they feel alone. I know that as soon as I started to research infertility and support groups I discovered so many others going through the same thing. While I think that the scales are generally tipped in the direction of those who get pregnant easily on my social media feeds, it helps to know that I am not the only one going through this experience. 



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!