The Great Follistim Shortage

I was finally able to start a cycle with my doctor's office!

After waiting for a cyst on my ovary to collapse and travel plans to pass, I was finally able to move forward with treatment.

This time around, my doctor had me go straight into injections with Follistim. I was really lucky to have a friend who had some Follistim leftover from another cycle that was not yet expired. However, when I tried to order more, I learned that there was a national Follistim shortage.

How the heck does that happen!?

Considering that Follistim is lab-derived, you'd think that it would be fairly straightforward to keep in stock. Right? Well, apparently not. 

When I used up my supply from my friend, and needed more the same night, I let the nurse know that I didn't have any. She sent out the prescription for GonalF, which was it's own adventure in fertility drugs. However, since I didn't have any on hand and needed to inject myself with a dose that night, I was lucky enough to get some Follistim from my doctor's office that had been donated back by another patient. 

I drove through rush hour traffic all the way across the city and back, and in the midst of it all, one of my tires was losing pressure and I was super paranoid driving back across town in the event that it might blow out or get flat. Talk about stressful...

It boggles my mind how a pharmaceutical company isn't able to accurately forecast med quantities. You'd think that a shortage would be unheard of...or if there was a shortage that the pharma rep would let the doctor's office know.

And let's now get started on the complete and utter racket that the pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies are. They are no doubt in cahoots with each other for profit. I feel like insurance companies should be a non-profit organization based on principle alone - in order to provide the best care for their customers, instead of gouging them, quoting ridiculous pricing for medications.

I'm not sure how it's possible, but the medication that I ended up ordering through a cash pharmacy was quote to me at almost THREE times the cash price, and that was supposedly the "co-pay". In my experience, co-pays shouldn't cost more than the CASH price of a drug. Maybe I'm wrong, but something just seems terribly fishy there. 

As of this writing, Follistim is still in a state of national shortage, and hopefully should be back to normal stock by July. 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!