Today would have been our due date...

I remember when we saw that positive pregnancy test. We were overjoyed. It was probably the happiest moment I can remember since we started trying to conceive. And of course, one of the first things I did was enter my information into a pregnancy due date calculator to see when our bundle of joy would be expected to make an appearance.

April 11. 2016.

Today's date.

It struck me that it was also the date of my grandfather's death anniversary. Twenty three years ago he passed away. I saw it as almost a "sign" that this was meant to be. Kind of like a passing of a torch or something metaphorical I thought up to assign significance to the date.

The days and months following the news that the miscarriage were altered significantly. But it happened in a super subtle way. I felt like the spark and drive that I normally possess dissipated. My motivation evaporated. Things that normally felt easy just felt hard. I didn't want to do anything. I wanted and longed for the one thing I couldn't have.

I think that I didn't really process my grief. I did...but I didn't. Because it happened so early, part of me felt like I wasn't attached, but that was a lie I was telling myself. I now understand the gravity of a positive pregnancy test and that first ultrasound... As soon as I saw that plus sign, I became a mother. My heart doubled in size to carry this new life.

And then it was ripped away.

I went on the for the next few months and I was okay. The memory of the miscarriage tucked away. It would surface when I went to my support group and would tell my story. It would surface when I thought about last summer's extreme highs and deep lows. But I carried on. I tried to focus on other things.

April rolled around. I don't even know how we're already four months into 2016, but we are. I thought about it this weekend. I thought about how things would be different if I didn't have a miscarriage. How this past weekend, I'd either be waiting for labor, in the hospital, or with a new family member that I had prayed for so long.

That wasn't the case. The day came and went. And our arms are empty.

While I didn't spend the day moping around or crying into my pillow, I still thought about the significance that today's date had. What could of been. I know that there's no going back in reverse and the only way to move is forward, but it's definitely something that crosses your mind.

At what point are we at now? Waiting for my cycle to start...again.

I think I've become a professional waiter...as in I'm really good at waiting.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!